In early December, PYM announced that a generous Philadelphia Yearly Meeting family had agreed to donate $30,000 if we could meet that amount through new and increased gifts.
We are thrilled to tell you that PYM Friends have met the $30,000 Worship & Care Package Challenge!
You may recall that we originally set out to meet the Worship & Care Package Challenge at the end of January 2023. Since we met it so soon, our generous family, with deep faith in the generosity of our donor community, has offered an additional $20,000 contingent on our ability to match this amount in new and increased gifts by the end of February 2023.
If you have not already made your gift in support of the Worship & Care Package Challenge, there is still time to participate. New and increased gifts will be matched, details about how the match works can be read on our website.
Here’s what the Worship & Care Package Challenge supports:
- The Pastoral Care Committees of several meetings will participate in a training used by congregations across the country. Called Stephen Ministry, the training offers a proven and effective way to organize, equip, and support a committee so it can provide high-quality, one-to-one, Spirit-centered care to people who are experiencing life difficulties.
- Intergenerational worship is about building relationships and deepening our faith in ways that are welcoming and inclusive to ALL ages – not just children. We can look forward to yearly-meeting wide intergenerational worship plus a package of resources, ideas, and support for meetings to hold their own worship for all ages.
- Bible Study in the manner of Friends explores the intersections between Bible Study and continuing revelation. Friends will be invited to yearly meeting-wide Bible study, grounded in an experiential approach in the manner of Friends, followed by a mini care package for meetings which provides materials, guidance, and support to create their own Bible study experiences.
- The formation of a Learning Circle of Friends. This is a community of Friends with a heart for worship or pastoral care (or both!) at all levels of experience. Circle members can share in training and fellowship to ground and grow their gifts.
- An expansion of PYM’s database. This resource will help identify Friends with gifts and skills in the areas of pastoral care and worship. This advance in technology will seed the Learning Circle. Database expansion also will allow us to gather information about the gifts, skills, and professions of Friends in all areas of service.
The new, additional matching challenge funds will provide even more Pastoral Care Committees with the opportunity to participate in Stephen Ministry trainings as well as a special additional training opportunity for all pastoral care providers.
Contact Christie Duncan-Tessmer, General Secretary, with any questions about the Care Package and the matching campaign: email@example.com; 215-241-7210.