Spring Continuing Sessions: March 8-10, 2024
We are Called to Healing — healing ourselves, our local communities, and our world. At Spring Continuing Sessions, we will begin a year-long exploration of what healing means to us as Friends. March 8 – 10 we will attend to the continuing business of the yearly meeting and enjoy fellowship across generations.
- Spring Continuing Sessions will be ONLINE Friday and Sunday.
- Saturday we will have hybrid, onsite, and online options.
Friday, March 8: Online
7:00pm – 8:30pm: Opening program “Called to Healing” with a panel of Friends sharing about their ministries of healing, including personal, community, global, and environmental pathways.
Saturday, March 9: Onsite, Online, and Hybrid
9:00am – 9:30am: Meeting for Worship
9:30am – 12:30pm: Meeting for Business
– Update on Lobbying Policy
– Invitation to April Threshing Session
– Implementation Plan: How Meetings can integrate our 5 strategic directions – Connecting, Belonging, Witnessing, Communicating and Functioning
– 2024 Sessions: Updates and What Friends Need to Know
– Arch Street Meetinghouse Preservation Trust
Clerks will be at Arch Street Meeting House. Regional locations will welcome Friends in the morning to participate in a hybrid format with Friends gathered in local meetings joining the clerks at Arch Street.
*Online lunchtime fellowship on Zoom OR brownbag/potluck lunch at regional locations listed below
2:00pm – 4:00pm: Called to Healing interactive program (all ages)
The afternoon program will be onsite or online. This means you may join in person at a regional location, or with Friends online (not hybrid).
Saturday regional locations and on Zoom:
- Arch Street Meeting House
- Camden (DE) Meeting
- Lancaster Meeting
- Millville Meeting
- Princeton Meeting
- PYM Zoom for online participants
Sunday, March 10: Online
10:00 – 11:00am: Join online intergenerational All Together Worship from home or your local meeting.
1:00 – 2:30pm: Meeting for Business (online only)
– Report from Nominating Committee
– Progress on the Climate Playbook – Quaker Life Council
– Property Thread Gathering Report – Administrative Council and Staff
What is Sessions?
Annual Sessions is one of the oldest Quaker traditions! Today, all over the world, yearly meetings gather once a year to bring together members and attenders from their local meetings. We call them “Sessions” because meeting for worship with attention to the business of the Yearly Meeting is central to these times together. Continuing Sessions are our one-day events on the second Saturday of November and March, where we attend to the continuing business of the Yearly Meeting and enjoy fellowship across generations. During all these times we ask: What is God’s big idea for PYM Friends?
Sessions in 2024! “Called to Healing”
The Gathering, Friends General Conference’s annual program for Friends from across North America, is coming to the Philadelphia area this summer and will be held at Haverford College from June 30-July 6, 2024. Read more about this summer’s Gathering here.
This is cause for celebration and a rare opportunity for PYM Friends to worship, learn, and share fellowship with the broader community of FGC here in our Yearly Meeting footprint. Yet, it also raised for PYM’s Sessions Coordinating Committee the question of how our Annual Sessions might work in conjunction with The FGC Gathering? Both annual events happen in the month of July, and participation can mean a significant investment in time and financial contribution.
Sessions Coordinating Committee created a proposal to creatively address the opportunity and concerns, and it was approved by the joint Councils on October 20 — PYM will adapt the format and schedule of Annual Sessions for 2024!
Annual Sessions 2024 will happen immediately following the FGC Gathering at Haverford College. We hope all Friends will participate in a day-long program focused on attending to the Yearly Meeting’s business. There will be options to join online with Zoom, continue on at Haverford College after attending the Gathering, or join on campus post-Gathering. The FGC Bookstore will remain open for our extended time on campus.
Along with this creative summertime solution, Continuing Sessions in March and November will expand in 2024 to be Friday-Sunday weekends together, with time for business, worship and fellowship. SCC and the Councils offer the assurance that we will have the equivalent hours for business spread throughout the year that we typically have during our summer Annual Sessions.
This change is a unique circumstance intended only for 2024.
Save the Dates!
- Spring Continuing Sessions: Friday, March 8 – Sunday, March 10th, 2024
- Annual Sessions: Saturday, July 6th (with a possible addition of Sunday, July 7th)
- Fall Continuing Sessions: Friday, November 8th – Sunday, November 10th, 2024
2024 gives Sessions Coordinating Committee a rare opportunity to pause and think about our longer-term needs and planning. SCC will be seeking input on your hopes, ideas and needs for Annual Sessions in years to come. If you are interested in joining SCC and would like to share your gifts and skills as we vision our way forward, please contact the Director of Program and Religious Life.
Recap of Annual Sessions, July 2023:
Presentations by the Keynote Speakers
- Love Thy Neighbor
- Cultivating Beloved Quaker Community: An Exploration Through the Science of Stress & Safety
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting Epistle 2023
- PYM Young Adult Friends Epistle 2023
- Children & Youth Epistle 2023
Mott Memos: daily highlights of the time together
- Mott Memo Recap from Wednesday July 26
- Mott Memo Recap from Thursday July 27
- Mott Memo Recap from Friday July 28 & Saturday July 29
- Mott Memo Recap from Sunday July 30
- Tara Rubinstein, Sessions & Events Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Melinda Wenner Bradley, Director of Program and Religious Life, email@example.com