The Yearly Meeting’s Quaker Education Granting Group reminds meetings and families that local meeting members’ children who are applying to or attending Friends schools are eligible to apply for educational support for the 2023-24 school year. Funding for all grants comes from the National Friends Education Fund and Philadelphia Yearly Meeting endowment income from the Jonathan Rhoads Fund and other PYM education endowments.
Interested families can apply for Philadelphia Yearly Meeting and National Friends Education Fund (NFEF) tuition aid through the Friends Council on Education (FCE) website.
The NFEF deadline for forms to be submitted to your child’s Friends school is February 15th, 2023.
Grants are available to children in Philadelphia Yearly Meeting who have at least one parent or legal guardian who has been a member of a local meeting for a full year prior to the academic year of the application. These children in grades K- 12 at PYM Friends schools are eligible where families meet financial need standards as determined by the school, based on criteria adjusted by FEF/PYM standards.
It’s a simple process:
- Download the NFEF application on the Friends Council on Education website.
- Complete the family section.
- Request the clerk of your meeting to complete the meeting’s section.
- The family sends the form, with family and meeting sections complete and signed by the meeting clerk, to the school their child will be attending in the next academic year by February 15 or the school’s financial aid application deadline.
If a family is applying to the NFEF, please also consider applying for additional tuition aid from your local meeting and/or your quarterly meeting. Note: local and quarterly meetings who offer tuition aid use separate forms. If you’re not sure about availability, send a note to the clerk of your meeting and/or the clerk of your quarterly meeting. (Find contact information for quarterly meetings.)
If you have questions, contact:
- Nicholas Gutowski, Director of Grant Making, at email@example.com or (215) 241-7218
- Melinda Wenner Bradley, Director of Programs, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 215-241-7171
The family and meeting must complete their sections and send the NFEF form to schools by February 15, 2023.
Help Grow PYM Tuition Aid Funds with an Endowment Gift
The following PYM education endowments can be increased with your gift or bequest:
- Jonathan Rhoads Fund – Income provides for annual grants to PYM Friends children in PYM Friends Schools
- Mary Jeanes Fund – Provides Post-secondary education grants for PYM members and their dependents
- Samuel Jeanes Education Fund – Helps provide for religious and youth education at PYM and supports the tuition aid program.