December 2023 marks the end of the Friends General Conference Quaker Cloud, which many meetings have utilized to host their websites for over a decade. The transition to creating a new website may feel daunting to some meetings, but it doesn’t have to. Creating websites can truly be as simple or as complicated as anyone wants to make it, and there is a tool that will meet everyone’s skill-level and interests.
Other Options for Your Meeting’s Website
The best platform for you will depend on your needs and skills. If you’re a beginner who wants an easy-to-use platform with a wide range of features, Wix is a good option. If you’re looking for a platform with beautiful and inviting design templates and excellent blogging features, Squarespace is a good choice. If you need the most customization options and are willing to put in the time to learn how to use the platform, WordPress is the best option. Hubb Church offers much more than just a website, but also other systems for managing the administrative aspects of your Meeting.
- Easy to use drag-and-drop interface, good for beginners
- Wide range of features and customization options
- Affordable pricing plans
- Can be difficult to find a template that perfectly suits your needs
- Some features are only available on higher-priced plans
- Customer support can be slow to respond
Meetings that use Wix:
- Features great design templates
- Excellent blogging features
- Easy to use drag-and-drop interface, beginner friendly
- Limited customization options
Meetings that use Squarespace:
- Most creative control and room to grow
- Free and open-source
- Excellent Search Engine Optimization
- Powers more than 40% of the web. Offers the world’s most extensive ecosystem of plugins, integrations, themes, templates, agencies and developers.
- Can be difficult to use for beginners
- Requires more technical knowledge to customize the design
Meetings that use WordPress:
- Hubb contains multiple ‘systems’ in one platform. Website, App, Church Admin, Church Communications and a Church Database.
- Very little creative control
Meetings that use HUBB Church
Quaker Cloud WordPress Theme
FGC has worked with the web design firm Yikes to create a custom WordPress theme designed for the needs of meetings. Additionally, FGC has created the Quaker Communications Community of Practice for Friends to confer about website design and social media best practices, and to support everyone’s mutual thriving in the digital world. To use that theme would require that a meeting purchase a domain name, web hosting, and to install the free WordPress software (available at wordpress.org). Many hosting services offer managed WordPress environments that can be deployed in a “one-click install.”
Help is Available
It is also possible to find help! Independent, professional website designers can help create websites for a range of prices. Sometimes, this may be the best option for people who don’t have the time but do have the resources to create their next website. Hopefully this information helps demystify the next steps for your Meeting’s website.
If you have additional questions, PYM Communications are happy to offer one off 30-minute consulting sessions to help you determine the next steps for your Meeting’s website.
Please use Calendly to schedule a meeting with Samantha Slade, Director of Communications, at your convenience.