On Friday September 20, 2019 some Friends Schools, Quaker meetings, and Quaker Colleges will release students to participate in climate strikes from 11 am to 2 pm. across the region.
The Climate Strike coincides with the US visit of an unusual 16 year old, Greta Thunberg, from Sweden. Named ‘a most influential teen’ by TIME magazine, Greta has been meeting with congress and other leaders in the USA to forward her belief that the US needs to do more to combat climate change.
Greta first shared her thoughts on climate change via a ten-minute TED talk. Watch the TED talk
Find more news about the climate strike through:
For Friends who want to get involved, or find out about work being done on Climate change issues:
To educate yourself:
- Visit the NASA website that tracks climate science
- Attend PYM’s October 24th 6:30 PM Friends in Fellowship talk by Taiya Smith on carbon pricing. As Deputy Chief of Staff and principal adviser to Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson on the U.S.-China relationship, Taiya established the U.S.-China Ten Year Framework on Energy & the Environment and the EcoPartnership program.
- Look at what they’re doing in other countries.
To learn more about the Climate Strike at City Hall in Philadelphia or other nearby places go to 350philadelphia.org/get-involved/.
Other Climate-related events:
October 3, 2019, Dr. Sandra Steingraber will speak at Swarthmore College. Biologist, cancer survivor and activist, Dr. Steingraber will talk about ecology, pollution and activism.
- Swarthmore College (1:00, Intercultural Center Dome Room, Sproul 201). Please read this “homework assignment” at https://orionmagazine.org/article/coffee-in-jail/
- Dr. Steingraber will also give a lecture/discussion at 4:30 pm ( currently scheduled for the same location).
- On Friday, October 4th Dr. Steingraber will convene a discussion at the Conlon Room at Brinton House at Pendle Hill, 338 Plush Mill Road, Wallingford, PA.
Oct 3-6 Quaker Earthcare Witness Fall Meeting at Pendle Hill. The fall Steering Committee Meeting of QEW will be held at Pendle Hill this year. More information is found at www.quakerearthcare.org/upcoming.