PYM Quaker communities and individuals have asked how to help!
The recent events in Afghanistan have led to a dramatic uptick in the number of refugees who will need resettlement — a number that has reached crisis levels and requires unprecedented response.
Many meetings have contacted PYM for information about how they can collaborate with churches and communities to help. Resources and a video can be found below.
One Meeting’s Response
Plymouth Monthly Meeting has taken an active role in supporting a translator (Bashir) who was in the exit process but had paperwork delays. They reported to PYM that:
The real story is how Christian and non-Christian, Military and pacifist, Republican and Democrat all truly became Americans. Each helping along the way to get Bashir through the next door, and there were more doors than I can remember to get him through.
The man we … (helped) did get out of the country 30 minutes before the bombing. He had not eaten in 3 days while hiding and (was) moving as the Taliban searched the houses. By the grace of friendship between the soldiers, he was rescued and brought into the Hotel. The same hotel where the bomb would go off outside. We still do not know who got him through the last gate to the airport.
Bucks County Efforts
The Bucks County Interfaith Coalition for Refugee Resettlement has shared this information with local communities:
The Bethany Greater Delaware Valley branch is mobilizing resources (including our community and church partners) to be able to serve the children and families that will be coming to the Allentown and Philadelphia areas. Questions? contact email@example.com
Watch the Conference Call
We invited representatives from the Church World Service, HIAS PA, and the Bucks County Interfaith Coalition for Refugee Resettlement to join a conference call held Thursday September 9 at 8 PM EST for Quakers in PYM and beyond to hear about how local Quaker communities and households can support incoming Afghan refugees. See below the video recording of the conference call posted to YouTube.
Church World Service Webinar Resources
The Church World Service held a Webinar on Monday August 30 12 PM to 12:45 PM – Welcoming Afghan Refugees and Special Immigrant Visas:
For local quaker communities who want to help
- Church World Service – Worship Guide
- FCNL Article – Fours Ways to Stand in Solidarity
- AFSC Action Alert – Assist Afghan People
- Afghanistan Response – A Collection of Resources
- Protecting Afghan Refugees at Risk – CWS Article
- Top 5 Ways to Support Afghans Seeking Refuge – Open Google Doc
- FAQ on Afghans Seeking Refuge – Open Google Doc
- Ecumenical Declaration: Expand Welcome
- Take Action – A Letter
- How to Help – Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service
- Airbnb – Offer Free Stays to People in Times of Crisis
- IRC – Donations to Support Incoming Afghans
- FSC – Donations to Support Incoming Afghans
- We Speak NYC – Vignettes about the Immigrant Experience
Local to Philadelphia Area Relief Efforts
For local Quaker communities who want to help
- How to Help Afghan Refugees – Philadelphia Inquirer
- Resources for Immigrants and Refugees – City of Philadelphia
- Refugee Resettlement – Nationalities Services Center
- How to Help – HIAS Pennsylvania
- Bucks County Interfaith Coalition – Refugee Resettlement
- Bethany Christian Services – Donation Page
- Help Offset the Cost of Applications – HIAS Donation Page
Photo provided by pixabay.com