Selecting a green energy provider
To learn more about your options, PennFuture is a very reliable resource. Another useful tool is found at PA Power Switch, which can be used to get rate quotes from many different generating companies.
The steps are similar:
- Identify your energy distributor by looking at your most recent bill. This will be the utility that sends you your electricity bill. Some examples are: PECO, PPL, and MetEd.
- Choose an alternate energy generating company
By comparing the quoted rates per kwh to the rate listed on your current bill, it is easy to see how the amount you are paying will change. In many cases, it may even be cheaper to switch to renewable energy than the keep paying the default rate! We recommend prioritizing local energy producers* and those who offer 100% clean energy. We recommend you opt for fixed rates – variable rates are just that and can end up costing you much more than you hoped. There are cost-competitive renewable providers for nearly all distributors. Suggestions by distributor:
- PECO: Energy Coop: 215-413-2122, info@TheEnergy.Coop
- Inspire Energy: 1-866-403-2620
- Ethical Electric: 1-800-460-4900
- PPL: Ethical Electric, Inspire Energy
- MetEd: Ethical Electric, Green Mountain Energy
- Switch! Simply call or go online to your chosen energy company, and declare your intent to switch providers. In a few days, your current distributor will send you a letter confirming that you want to switch. That’s it! You still pay bills to the same distributor, who sends the money to the generating company. You still call the distributor if your power goes out or you have other problems. Let us know when you switch. Our goal is 100% or PYM Meetings with 100% renewable energy.
- Spread the word! Encourage members and attenders to switch too. Contact Friendly Households and let us share your good actions (write us at email@example.com)
* A brief technical note: For renewable energy providers, 100% national means that the energy is sourced from renewable plants all over the country, 100% regional refers to plants in the Mid-Atlantic region, and 100% PA Wind means that all of the energy supplied is generated by wind plants in Pennsylvania. PACustomerCare@greenmountain.com or call: 8002865856