The economies of virtually all nations are managed to promote growth. People with plenty are induced to acquire more and those in debt are induced to borrow more.
Yet more growth makes the wealthiest even wealthier, while unemployment, hunger and violence are widespread. And human economies are already far larger than Earth’s commonwealth of life can continue to support.
The purpose: to help Friends learn about the growth dilemma and alternatives to our current growth-based economy, and to foster a wider dialogue about reforming our economic system so it serves justice and the commonwealth of life.
The agenda:“…to plant seeds for future harvest”.
- Build awareness among Friends about the economy’s systemic failures.
- Convince Friends Committee on National Legislation to address the Growth Dilemma.
- Communicate about the growth dilemma with policy makers, policy allies, and staff in Washington D.C.
- Promote a Yearly Meeting minute that calls for “a paradigm shift in perspective” about ecology and the economic system.
- Collaborate with Quaker Institute for the Future on publications about the failures of, and alternatives to, the growth economy.
- Browse the discussion materials, articles and links at our web page on the PYM website.
- Use our questions, queries and graphics for a discussion at your monthly meeting.
- Invite a GDP resource person to your monthly or quarterly meeting for a presentation.
- Become a GDP Contact from your monthly meeting to a national network of Friends.
- Come to our monthly meetings for discussion and discernment.