Check out the Youth Programs Calendar page for upcoming events!
Young Friends at the Bucks Peace Fair!
Saturday-Sunday, September 18-19
High-school age youth are invited to join the Young Friends community for a day of service at the Peace Fair hosted by Buckingham Friends Meeting and Buckingham Friends School.
After helping with the Fair, Young Friends will have their own program and option to stay overnight. This is a wonderful event with the wider Quaker community, the opportunity to serve, and time with Friends in fellowship!
Registration opens soon
Youth-Led Meeting for Worship
Quaker youth in Grades 6th-12th are invited to worship together in a youth-centered space.
The 30-minute online worship will be hosted by PYM Youth Programs staff and youth will have care of meeting for the community. All youth are invited: current participants in the Middle School Friends and Young Friends programs, and Friends new to the PYM youth community. This is a youth-centered space, and registration is for youth in Grades 6-12. The two staff members who will host the online space will be responsible for Zoom and following PYM online youth safety guidelines. Youth members of our Youth Programs community, like the Young Friends Nurture Committee, will have care of worship.
- We gather the 3rd Sunday of the month from 8-8:30pm
- This fall: September 19, October 17, November 21, December 19
- Register on the website event page to receive the Zoom link.
ALL participants in the Young Friends program will need to have a Health/Permission form on file, which is good from July to June each year, as well as the Young Friends Guidelines form.
Annual Calendar of Events
Please keep an eye on the PYM website for information about upcoming events. Sign up here to receive updates and news about Young Friends program events.
The Young Friends Program typically holds overnight gatherings throughout the year and programs at PYM Sessions. Below is a list of the typical Young Friends events — we’re hoping to offer more of these again in 2021-22.
- Late Summer Gathering August 14-15 at West Chester Meeting
- Bucks Quarter Peace Fair September 17-19 at Buckingham Friends Meeting
- Fall Continuing Sessions November 6 at Friends Center
- Christmas Gathering December 27-30 (location TBD)
- Winter Gathering in Jan/Feb 2022 — possibly YSOP again in 2022
- Spring Continuing Sessions March 26, 2022
- Camp Swatara Gathering April 30-May 1, 2022
- Annual Sessions July 26-July 31, 2022
In coming to a Young Friends gathering, be prepared to fully participate in the community! This means sharing yourself and learning about others, working hard and having fun in a number of different ways.
Most Young Friends gatherings happen in meetinghouses of the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting region. We sleep on the floor, prepare meals in the kitchen, and join the host meeting for worship on Sunday morning, getting to know a new space and community of PYM.
Lots of different activities happen at Young Friends gatherings, like workshops, worship, chores, and both structured and unstructured play-time. We gather for these activities both as one large group and in small groups, meeting as a whole group on the first night to get to know one-another and go over guidelines and schedule, and later for worship in the morning, announcements before meals and a full-group workshop. Everyone gets assigned to a small group for the whole gathering, with whom they meet each night for worship sharing as well as throughout the day for chores, like preparing or cleaning up after a meal, cleaning bathrooms, or tidying up after late-night snacks. We also often do some workshops in groups that split by interest.
In addition to the workshop and chores mentioned above, we typically have a large block of free time in which Young Friends can take a walk, relax with friends, or do homework.
When it’s bedtime each Young Friend has to find the person responsible for the bedtime headcount (usually the Assistant) and let them know that they are present before going to sleep! This check-in process usually starts around 11pm with the goal of being settled for bed by 11:30pm, but anyone can check-in and go to bed before that time if they so desire.
On the last morning of a gathering our goal is to pack up (even before going to breakfast!), clean the meetinghouse, close our time together as Young Friends, join the host meeting’s worship, and get lots of hugs as we depart to hold us until the next gathering!
- Seasonally appropriate clothing, including cooler clothes (for hot days or stuffy rooms) and warmer clothes (for cold weather or air conditioning). Swim suit and rain gear may be necessary in warmer weather!
- Pajamas in which you will be comfortable being seen and others will be comfortable seeing you.
- Bedding: sleeping mat or blow-up mattress, pillow, sheets & blankets or sleeping bag.
- Toiletries: all your normal stuff plus sunscreen and bug-spray in the summer.
- Other: water bottle, flashlight & batteries, games, craft materials, and musical instruments.