Annual and Continuing Sessions
Where every Friend of every age from every meeting comes together!
Recently Friends at Sessions found joy and fulfillment! Here’s how:
- Continuing Sessions was held at Arch Street Meeting House AND five monthly meetings so no one would need to drive more than 90 minutes to participate in person.
- For years we’ve been supported by grounded and gifted clerks.
This is a current or upcoming project or interesting thing at Sessions:
- Deepening our commitment to addressing racism and climate change.
- Foster sessions’ and meetings’ capacity to be places of welcome and belonging
People who participate in Sessions can learn and grow in this way:
- Experience yearly meeting as the interdependent community of Friends and meetings
- Gain exposure to aspects of Quakerism – business, worship, fellowship – that are different from your local meeting’s.
Sessions function at their best when there are people participating who have these skills or experiences:
- A yearning toward engaging in a spiritual process characterized by deep listening to each other and trusting in God’s guidance leading to unity.
- Intervisitation – having visited other meetings and met other Friends prepares us to move in the spirit together.
The realistic time commitment of attenders of Sessions includes:
- Attend Continuing Sessions on the second Saturdays of November and March
- Attend Annual Sessions the last Wednesday-Sunday of July
- Read agenda materials prior to meeting
- Terms: a term is your whole life
Sessions invites participation from every Friend from every meeting of every age.
All members of its constituent Friends meetings are also members of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. They are encouraged to attend the annual, continuing and other sessions of yearly meeting and participate in worship, fellowship, and decision-making with other members of the yearly meeting. Yearly meeting is enhanced when as many members as possible attend sessions since this assures a larger pool of wisdom and insight; such participation is also beneficial for the members and their Friends meetings.
For information about Sessions, contact the presiding clerk: Melissa Rycroft, email@example.com