- This event has passed.
Illuminate Summer Speaker Series
August 14 @ 7:30 pm - 9:00 pm
An event every 2 weeks that begins at 7:30 pm on Monday, repeating until July 24, 2023
One event on July 31, 2023 at 7:30 pm
One event on August 14, 2023 at 7:30 pm
An online lecture series collaboration between Barclay Press and Pendle Hill with authors of Illuminate: Minor Prophets
- Jun 12, 26, Jul 10, 24, 31, and Aug 14, 2023
- 7:30pm-9:00pm Eastern Time (US & Canada) via ZoomPricing:
- Subsidized Fee: $100
- Basic Fee: $125
- Fee Plus: $140 If the subsidized price is financially inaccessible, please wait to register and first apply for financial assistance.
- Faithfulness Groups: $0 for PYM meetings ($200 for other groups)
If groups are interested in participating in and discussing the Illuminate series as a community, up to 6 people in the same PYM local meeting can register at a single price using the “PYM Faithfulness Group” option at registration on the Pendle Hill website. This opportunity is made possible by the PYM Care Package for Bible Study.
Join us for a series of evening discussions with authors of authors of Illuminate: Minor Prophets, the most recent curriculum in the Barclay Press Illuminate Friends Bible Study Series. Speakers will share insights from their studies as they prepared the lessons and “Friendly Perspectives” in this series.
The Minor Prophets, also known as the Book of the Twelve, include a dozen voices across four centuries, reminding God’s people to fully embody their covenant with God. As empires rose and fell, as the descendants of Israel experienced traumatic loss and distraction from God, prophets continued to hear God calling them back to just treatment of others and the land. These “minor” prophets are only minor in terms of length. Each prophet offers courageous critique and powerful hope. In our own time, these prophets offer an example of seeing and speaking clearly about painful realities and the terrifying results of our actions. They also show us a way forward in casting a Spirit-led, hope-filled vision for the community to move toward. This combination of critique and hope can help Friends and others listen and live courageously into much-needed prophetic action in our own time.
- June 12: Cherice Bock and Sara Beth Terrell, The Book of the Twelve as a Collection
- June 26: Jennifer Newman and Rhiannon Grant, Jonah
- July 10: Ed Schneider and Lynette Davis, Amos and Micah
- July 24: Scott Wagoner, Hosea and Joel
- July 31: Leigh Tolton and Brent Bill, Micah and Nahum
- August 14: Daniel Smith-Christopher and Cherice Bock, Zechariah and Malachi