Book Group on Wess Daniels’s “Resisting Empire”
September 10, 2023 @ 7:00 pm - February 11, 2024 @ 8:30 pmFree
Join Chestnut Hill’s Bible Study group as we read the book of Revelation using C. Wess Daniels’s Resisting Empire: The Book of Revelation. What can Revelation teach Quakers about complicity with empire in the US in the 21st century? Daniels says:
- Revelation reveals how scapegoating functions within empire.
- Revelation critiques wealth.
- Revelation demonstrates the importance of liturgy.
- Revelation reveals an alternative social order.
We will gather by Zoom 7-8:30 pm on the 2nd and 4th Sundays of the month, omitting December 24.
- September 10 – Forword and Introduction: Revelation, Resistance, and the End of the World
- September 24 – Chapter 1: Some Strategies for Reading the Bible with Liberation, Imagination, and Empathy
- October 8 – Chapter 2: From Bafflement to Wonder (Revelation 1)
- October 22 – Chater 3: Light Walking Around (Revelation 2-3)
- November 12 – Chapter 4: The Lamb that Was Slain (Revelation 5)
- November 26 – Chapter 5: Finding Our New Song (Revelation 7)
- December 10 – Chapter 6: Resistance Is the Work of the People (Revelation 12)
- (no book group December 24)
- January 14 – Chapter 7: The Multitude (Revelation 7)
- January 28 – Chapter 8: Economics, Poverty, and Crashing the Beast’s Party (Revelation 13, 18)
- February 11 – Chapter 9: Revelation Is Remix (Revelation 21-22) & Afterword
Resisting Empire: The Book of Revelation is available in paperback from the Pendle Hill bookstore and in ebook from Barclay Press and Amazon.
Please email Janaki Spickard Keeler at zana16 [at] gmail [dot] com for the Zoom link.