Young Friends at Bucks Peace Fair
September 18 @ 8:00 am - September 19 @ 12:00 pm$40
High-school age youth are invited to join the Young Friends community for a day of service at the Peace Fair hosted by Buckingham Friends Meeting and Buckingham Friends School. After helping with the Fair, Young Friends will have their own program and option to stay overnight. This is a wonderful event with the wider Quaker community, the opportunity to serve, and time with Friends in fellowship!
- Orientation will start at 8:30 AM, and it’s important that Young Friends attend orientation before we begin service. We’ll have bagels available for Young Friends who haven’t eaten yet when they arrive.
- In addition to helping vendors with setup and cleanup, Young Friends will each work two 1½-hour shifts, leading games for kids and helping with other activities. The other 3 hours of the Fair will be free time for Young Friends to hang out, walk around Peddler’s Village, and participate in light programming led by the facilitators.
- Each participant will be given $10 to spend at the Fair, in keeping with our practice of equitable pocket money spending at Young Friends events. This is covered by registration.
- Young Friends are invited to sleep over on Saturday night and attend worship with Buckingham Friends Meeting on Sunday morning. Young Friends can sleep either in the gym, or camp out outside. You may also choose to head home earlier in the evening.
- We strongly encourage Friends to choose the camp-out option, as a precaution against the COVID-19 Delta variant. We are happy to find tents for Young Friends if they are unable to bring their own. Please indicate this need on your registration form.
While the registration cost of this event is $40, partial and full scholarships are always available from two PYM funds specific to supporting Young Friends.
NOTE for Young Friends Drop off on Saturday morning:
Drop off is in the lower parking lot of Buckingham Friends School. The map at https://sites.google.com/site/peacefairorg/home/maps-directions takes you to the parking lot entrance – turn left after entering. The entrance is on Route 263, between Peddler’s Village and the Route 263/Route 202 split. If approaching on Route 263 from the southwest, the entrance is on the left, past the Meeting and the school, immediately after Route 202 splits off from Route 263. If approaching from the northeast, the entrance is on the right, at the end of the parking lots for Peddler’s Village. There will be Young Friends Drop Off signs.
Only vendors for the Peace Fair are permitted to enter the driveway to Buckingham Meeting and the upper parking lot of Buckingham Friends School on Saturday morning – please do not attempt to enter there.