- This event has passed.
Spiritual Formation Retreat, Fall 2022
October 14 @ 2:00 pm - October 16 @ 2:00 pm
Join Philadelphia Yearly Meeting’s Spiritual Formation Collaborative for their annual fall retreat at Pendle Hill Retreat and Conference Center in Wallingford, Pennsylvania. We will explore the practice of spiritual companions and their important role in our spiritual lives. As an experienced companion or someone completely new, you will make new Friends and learn new skills within a loving and courageous community.
Spiritual Companion Groups help us discover or revitalize the essence of Quaker practice by exploring these queries: why we are Friends and how do we embody Quaker faith and practice in daily life? The Quaker religion is both individual and communal – our faith and meetings are strengthened when we practice with companions.
Spiritual Companion Groups
This practice retreat is for people in an area who want to form spiritual companion groups, including small groups of 2-4 people who want to start their own groups.
Spiritual Companionship is a fundamental practice among Quakers and other faith traditions. It strengthens anyone facing human tragedy and working for peaceful, just societies. It is a simple format of meeting regularly every 1-3 weeks with 2-4 people dividing the time equally to seek and document insights and practices to shape and guide our lives. This different way of interacting requires practice.
This practice-based retreat is for people who are actively digging deeper to experiment with the Spirit in their lives and be changed. If you’re interested, invite one or two people in your area to join with you, or invite anyone interested in forming groups. Companion Groups do not transform us; they support us when we allow ourselves to be transformed by the Spirit. So this workshop is for people who are actively experimenting with transforming your life.
We offer global gatherings that support ongoing companion groups three times a year: March, July, and November. Each local area self-organizes local groups and gatherings usually three times a year: May, Sept, and January.
Ways to Prepare
- Read the Companion Group Workshop Materials.
- Purchase the book, Walking in the World as a Friend, by Nadine Hoover at CourageousGifts.com (optional).
- Watch videos introducing convincement, conviction, and experimenting with Spirit and other related topics on Conscience Studio’s YouTube channel.
- Read and affirm these Community Agreements. Bring any questions or comments with you.
- Affirm yourself and others, no put downs or put ups.
- Stop, listen, don’t interrupt.
- Speak simply & truthfully, without fear of mistakes.
- Speak from your own experience.
- Use your right to pass or to ask for consultation.
- Volunteer yourself only.
- Care for yourself, each person, and the group.
- Nadine Hoover of Buffalo NYYM, former Secretary of SEYM and FGC Bookstore Manager, AVP facilitator since 1978, Peace Ministries clerk of Friends Peace Teams, special focus on Asia West Pacific, and author of Walking in the World as a Friend: Essential Quaker Practices.
- Joann Neuroth of Red Cedar LEYM, Clerk of School of the Spirit Ministry board, former clerk of Red Cedar Monthly Meeting, former member of AFSC board, and LEYM Finance clerk.
- Cassie Cammann of Ann Arbor LEYM, bodyworker and group convener for Unsettling Quaker Whiteness.
- Barbara LeSage of North Columbus LEYM, educator, Nonviolent Communication (NVC) facilitator with trauma infused perspective, and former Residency Manager of Beacon Hill Friends House.
Late registration is possible – we have commuter spaces and three rooms with meals still available. (as of 9/19)