Greening Sacred Spaces Series
June 7 @ 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
One event on April 5, 2023 at 7:00 pm
One event on June 7, 2023 at 7:00 pm
Let’s make 2023 the year that all Friends’ institutions in Philadelphia Yearly Meeting commit to landscaping practices that support the commonwealth of life. Get an orientation to which of three certifications to protect and preserve the living things in your local habitat is right for your property.
- Part 1: Wednesday, March 1, 7:00-8:30pm. Eco-friendly landscaping policies & why they matter and The National Wildlife Federation Certification. This event has passed.
- Part 2: Wednesday, April 5, 7:00-8:30pm. Homegrown National Parks and the Audubon Bird Friendly Certification (Zoom). This session focuses on the Audubon Bird Friendly Certification and Homegrown National Parks registration as demonstrated in a real life example from Gwynedd Monthly Meeting. This event has passed.
- Part 3: Wednesday, June 7, 7:00-8:30pm. The Carbon Forest Project (Zoom): A model for larger stewardship projects. This is a case study of a pro-active project hosted by Unami Meeting to plant native hardwood forests to counteract climate change damage to our atmosphere by sequestering carbon. This unique major landscape changing project (10 acre minimum plantings) exists so that some on-the-ground work can be done at the local level to take an action; not just talk, on this global ecological topic. The details of how this work will be done, the organizational collaboration, ecological restoration context, as well as the long-range and environmental purpose of these plantings will be presented. We will also look at the project needs and opportunities to help in this process. Presentation by John & Joyce Munro. Cloud Forest Restoration in Mexico Paula Kline and Alan Wright of Westtown Monthly Meeting will share their challenges and successes in restoring 250 acres of degraded land in the cloud forest region of Veracruz, Mexico over the past 20 years.
- Part 4: Summer/Fall 2023 (in-person). See for yourself – tour of bird, bee and habitat friendly grounds (In-person in various locations in PYM)
Who should attend: members of property committees, cemetery committees, those who care for the landscaping at your site, those who love birds, butterfly and pollinator gardens.
Co-sponsored by Eco-Justice Collaborative and Concord Quarter Climate Action Working Group
June 7 event:
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
As a reminder, we will re-send the Zoom link the day of the event.
- June 7
7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
- Event Categories:
- Climate Justice, Peace & Social Justice, Philadelphia Yearly Meeting
- PA + Google Map
- Olivia Brangan – Community Engagement Coordinator